Niki South Student number: 514516
REFLECTIONS ON FORMATIVE FEEDBACK
- The research that I’d undertaken; I was especially pleased with this as my Expressing Your Vision feedback from assessors was that they’d like to see more research practice.
- A strong collection of images providing a good answer to the brief.
- A very good academic approach.
- My own assessment of my work and images.
- The layout and content of my learning log.
AREAS FOR DEVELOPMENT
- Ensure that I really select what is in the frame. This would probably have made the images more interesting which I struggled with.
- Making sure that if my images are only slightly off centre or at an angle that it doesn’t look lazy; it wasn’t lazy it was deliberate but I understand that it may look like a “grabbed aesthetic”.
- Using the ISO to my advantage e.g. to increase the shutter speed to avoid any camera shake.
- Considering whether the horizon should be upright as in some shots I have lined the subject up by verticals instead.
- Include more visual material in my research to support my text. I have deliberately reduced this as copyright issues have been raised by colleagues, however I will return to using more images to support my research but add this disclaimer I have attached to my homepage to every post that includes an image by another photographer or artist.
MY LEARNING POINTS
- The most important message that I will take away from this assignment is to really consider what is in the frame, excluding what is less important and crop post shooting if necessary. I prefer to compose as I shoot, but I should consider cropping post shooting if necessary to ensure that the viewer is presented with the most powerful elements. I have now recropped several images to straighten them on the horizontal rather than the vertical (Boat builders Image 25, Unbuilt supermarket image 6, Penny Pinchers image 72, and Oxfam image 20) as well as to reduce extraneous material and focus the viewer on the important information (Castle image 51, Penny Pinchers image 72, Cinema Image 22 and Oxfam image 20). I have in fact substituted image 22 for image 20 of the cinemas as this allowed me to straighten and crop it more effectively. I thank my tutor for these suggestions which I can see have improved the images submitted.
- I did consider substituting the post office image as I agree it does give a message of deprivation, however I don’t feel that there an image the declining series where the message contained in both the image and the accompanying text is not as strong; I also feel that each image in this series brings a slightly different message about deprivation.
Link to work submitted to tutor: https://nkssite2.wordpress.com/category/a1-work-submitted-to-tutor/
Link to learning log: https://nkssite2.wordpress.com/category/a1-learning-log/
These mind maps summarise the narrative of my planning, post shooting thoughts and editing notes contained in the learning log: