Niki South Student number 514516
REFLECTIONS AGAINST ASSESSMENT CRITERIA
Demonstration of technical and visual skills:
- I hope that my visual awareness is shown effectively in the final images.
- My technical challenge was with the lighting as many were shot indoors and I was using a speedlite for the first time; I did experiment with different exposures and lighting paths for each shot. I realise that I have only just begun my learning about lighting subjects indoors.
- I used advice given in my previous assignment and tried to eliminate anything not wanted in the frame during my composition, and if not by a little cropping.
Quality of outcome:
- I applied the learning I had uncovered in the exercises and my research as much as possible, and advice given to me in previous feedback.
- I hope that I have effectively communicated my ideas about my personal disappointments.
- I deliberately connected my images to metaphors to underline my messages and I hope this has been successful.
Demonstration of creativity
- I believe I was creative from the moment that I formed the idea of photographing the unseen. For me the concept and working conceptually was risky. I did have to think outside of the box.
- I was essentially creating art before photographing, and my photographs are a record of my engagement with my art.
- I combined physical items that represented each disappointment with a textual signpost in their title.
- I used everyday objects to represent ideas.
- I photographed objects for what they might suggest rather than what they are.
- I tried to create images that cause impact or a response, or even just a question from the viewer.
- I used the research presented in this learning log, but also previous exhibition visits to build on my initial ideas. This led me towards conceptual photography and combining visual and textual messages.
- I reflected an incredible amount during the planning and the execution of this assignment, whereas usually most of my reflection is post shooting.
- I built narrative meaning by recontextualising (eg.by placing work items in soap suds on a draining board).
- Post shooting I also reflected critically when editing my images and as I assigned their titles to them.